books and cleverness

I read books of all sorts, but mostly kids' lit and young adult literature and speculative fiction for all ages—usually from a feminist perspective.

I've adopted a personalized version of the CHOICE reviews approach to recommendations/star ratings:

***** = Essential, a.k.a. truly love, absolute must-read, buy it now
**** = Highly Recommended, a.k.a. this is a really good book; I would buy it as a gift
*** = Recommended, a.k.a. pretty good; worth reading
** = Optional, a.k.a. meh
* = Not Recommended; a.k.a. this is not a good book

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

I mean, obviously this is a really well-written book with lots of cleverness and poignant moments and it made me tear up at a few points and it's so good that this kind of book can be written about youth and mortality.But, like, it's also a Teenagers With Terminal Illnesses In Big True Love With Capital B-T-L story? And those are kind of the worst?

This book is actually so very good at capturing the rhythm and realities of contemporary speech that it almost seems ephemeral. I wonder if in 5 years or so it will still hold up and seem worthy of the accolades it's received, or if it will have passed into unrelatable-ness. Let's all meet back here in 5 years and discuss, OK?